BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — WKU Soccer will square off against UAB in the opening round of the Conference USA Championship on Tuesday, April 13 in Houston.
All rounds of the tournament will be streamed on ESPN+.
WKU (7-1-2, 4-0-2 C-USA) vs. UAB (8-5-1, 3-3-0 C-USA)
Tuesday, April 13 | 11 a.m. (CST)
Holloway Field | Houston, Texas
- The Lady Toppers enter the C-USA tournament as the No. 1 seed out of the East Division after clinching the regular season East title on April 9 with a 1-0 win against Charlotte. It was WKU’s first regular season championship since 2013 and its first since joining C-USA
- The win came on a header by Katie Erwin in the 90th minute off a midfield assist from Lyric Schmidt
- Erwin’s heroics earned her C-USA Co-Offensive Player of the Week on Sunday. The award was the sophomore’s first weekly honor of her career
- Ambere Barnett was named the C-USA Player of the Year on Monday along with earning Midfielder of the Year honors. Five total Lady Toppers were named to All-Conference teams on Monday. Barnett and Avery Jacobsen were tabbed First Team, Lyric Schmidt was named to the Second Team, and Brina Micheels and Ellie Belcher earned All-Freshmen honors
- Also, this week Ansley Cate and Katie Erwin were both named to the C-USA All-Academic Second Team
- The Lady Toppers have not been defeated since Feb. 6 and take a nine-match unbeaten streak into the tournament. WKU Soccer’s 7-1-2 record is their best through 10 matches since 2008
- WKU ended the regular season at the WKU Soccer Complex where they went 5-0-0 on the season
- The Lady Toppers are the No. 1 seed in the East Division and the Blazers are the No. 4 seed in the West Division. This will be the first time these two teams have ever met in the C-USA tournament
- The Lady Toppers won their most recent match against UAB, 1-0, on Oct. 25, 2019
- WKU is 3-2-1 all-time against UAB
- The two teams did face off in an exhibition match in the fall, WKU’s only exhibition match this season. After a weather delay that lasted over two hours, the contest went in to overtime. Following two overtime periods, WKU won in a shootout, 10-9
- UAB concluded their regular season with a must-win victory over LA Tech 3-1, which earned them a berth in the C-USA Championship
- Lexxe Lipsey leads C-USA play with 17 points for the season with eight goals and an assist. Stella Kiss is second on the team with six goals. Laura Zemberyova leads the squad with five assists
- The Blazers have had four different goalkeepers play minutes this season. Anike Toth has played and started in 11 and has a 1.02 goals against average
- UAB is scoring 2.36 goals per game this season while allowing 1.29
How to follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Soccer, visit WKUSports.com or follow the program via social media @WKU_Soccer on Twitter and Instagram.