Starbucks kicks off 2021 with a new winter menu and additions to its permanent lineup.
Starting Tuesday at participating locations nationwide, customers can order the new Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew and Pistachio Latte inspired by a beverage that launched at Starbucks Reserve Roasteries. The latte is made with espresso and steamed milk combined with a sauce made with real pistachios and a salted, brown, buttery topping.
The Seattle-based coffee giant announced that Kale and Portabella Mushroom Sous Vide Egg Bites and the returning Honey Almondmilk Flat White are permanent items.
There’s also a Red Velvet Loaf and Earth Cake Pop available for a limited time, as well as two Starbucks Reserve whole bean coffees – Guatemala Huehuetenango and Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Chelelektu.
New chicken sandwiches coming soon:McDonald’s launching chicken sandwiches, including spicy version, in February to start Chicken Sandwich War
The Starbucks Reserve coffee will be sold at 3,200 company-operated stores in the USA. Previously, the drink had been served only at Starbucks Reserve Roasteries, Reserve bars and select Starbucks locations around the world, the company said, advising customers to use the Starbucks app to find which locations carry the coffee.
Other beverages that debuted at Starbucks Roasteries before launching at stores include the Nitro Cold Brew and seasonal drinks such as the Cascara Latte, Smoked Butterscotch Latte and the Juniper Latte.
Starbucks announcement is one of many made by restaurants about new menu items. Last week, Dunkin’ released Extra Charged Coffee with 20% more caffeine and a Dunkfetti Donut.
Chipotle’s Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice debuted nationwide Monday, and McDonald’s announced it would release three chicken sandwiches Feb. 24.
Last month, Starbucks shared during its biennial Investor Day that cold beverages featuring nondairy milk continue to resonate with customers and said millennials and Gen-Z-ers under 30 are two times more likely to drink cold coffee.
Starbucks’ 2021 winter menu
Here are descriptions of the limited-time items, available while supplies last:
- Pistachio Latte: The drink is available hot, iced and blended and pairs pistachio with espresso and steamed milk, finished with a salted, brown, buttery topping.
- Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew: The nondairy beverage is made with Starbucks Cold Brew, combined with honey, then topped with almondmilk.
- Earth Cake Pop: The chocolate cake pop is dipped in a “blue chocolaty icing and finished with green and white sprinkles” and resembles the Earth.
- Red Velvet Loaf: The dessert combines vanilla cake and classic red velvet cake and topped with a white chocolate icing.
New permanent menu items
Starbucks announced these items would be on the permanent menu:
- Honey Almondmilk Flat White: This flat white, which debuted in January 2020, returns and pairs almondmilk and Starbucks Blonde espresso with honey.
- Kale and Portabella Mushroom Sous Vide Egg Bites: Chopped kale and portabella mushrooms are folded into cage-free eggs with Monterey Jack cheese.
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko